Sunday, August 12, 2007

September preview


Here's a preview of my Sassy Crafter column for the September issue of The Satellite. I transformed an old card table into a fresh, new sewing table by decoupaging it with vintage pattern pieces.

I actually found the card table at the side of the road while I was driving home from running a few errands. Gotta love the suburban equivalent of dumpster diving!

At any rate, the table was in mostly working condition (a little WD-40 helped), but the overall look was pretty blah. I'd been wanting to do a decoupage project using old pattern pieces, and this seemed like just the canvas that I had been waiting for.

Want the same look? Here's how to get it.

  1. Use a regular-body acrylic gel medium to adhere the pattern pieces. That's all there is to it! Dontcha just love one-step tutorials?
Other adhesives would probably work--I just happened to have gel medium on hand. In retrospect, I probably could've laid on the pieces directly with polyurethane. Maybe next time I'll try that.

I brought the table to the recent Mamaw Menagerie at 2nd Street Bakery. To tell you the truth, I didn't feel like the piece was done yet. BUT...some nice gal offered to buy it from me, so I guess it looked finished after all! It just goes to show you that art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Thanks, Jen!

The Alligator also featured a nice write-up on the event, which you can read here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin