Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Ah... Savannah


Savannah is my second favorite Southern city. Much like New Orleans, it's a city that is steeped with history but doesn't come off as the least bit stodgy. In fact, it's a hip, contemporary town that isn't worried about taking itself too seriously. Chalk it up to the great art school that continues to bring in creative people who fall in love with Savannah and never get around to leaving.

The New York Times just did a feature on Savannah and gave a shout-out to one of my favorite places for creative inspiration -- shopSCAD.

I stumbled across shopSCAD completely by chance when I visited the city in July 2004 with my friend Jenny. I was totally mesmerized by the amazing things for sale there, all created by current or former SCAD students and/or faculty. Jenny's lucky that she was ever able to drag me out of there!

I was particularly smitten with the wallets, checkbook covers, and passport covers made from vintage papers, made by a company called 11:11, or "eleven eleven." When I went to the site today, I also fell in love with the darling pillows made by Pamela Riley and the chipmunk chest by Katie Runnels which is pictured above.

If you're ever in Savannah, be sure not to miss this little gem. Or, visit the newly opened shopSCAD in Atlanta.

1 comment:

Buffy said...

Savannah is my favorite Southern city. I would love to move there. I'm not sure I could make it as a vegetarian shrimp boater though, and there's not many other career options.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin