Monday, March 14, 2011

Why I grow veggies in the front yard

This fall I planted a six-pack of 'Red Rocket' mustard greens in the bed along the street. I needed something cold-tolerant to provide some color and interest through the winter, and these had the added bonus of being edible.




I watered and fertilized them a few times, but otherwise hardly touched them. Despite my lack of care, they grew waist high.

Tonight my hubby and I picked our second bunch and I cooked them up for dinner along with some pork chops and baked potatoes. They were quite peppery and oh-so delicious, balancing perfectly with the creaminess of the white wine and butter sauce I made.





Growing vegetables in the front yard is so satisfying!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I adore people who grow veggies in their front yard! Where I live in the city, it is extremely common, particularly if your front yard has better light conditions. On some south facing streets, the entire yard is full of beans, cukes, and squash. Great post!

Kim Taylor Kruse said...

Thanks, KJ! This was my first foray into making the front yard an edible oasis. This spring I'm planning to add some red okra and maybe a squash or two. I'll definitely keep you posted here!

Katherine said...

Maybe this is what I need to do. I've got a spot that needs something. Perhaps a few tomato plants?

Kim Taylor Kruse said...

Sure, Katherine! In fact, we're planning to plant out some tomatoes in our front yard as soon as the seedlings that I started get big enough.

If you want to enjoy tomatoes all summer, I'd recommend selecting cherry tomatoes. The bigger tomatoes usually stop bearing fruit when it gets super hot but the little ones don't.

Alachua Feed and Seed on NW 6th Street has a bunch of tomatoes and other veggies in stock right now.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin