Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Retooled table

I just discovered a new site called The CSI Project: create...show...inspire. Every week they feature a challenge to get your creative juices flowing. This week's challenge is Yard Sale Makeovers, so naturally I felt like I had to post a makeover of my own!

retooled table

This is a boring old end table that I bought at a flea market and transformed into the colorful table you see here. I had always wanted to create a table that incorporated a game board. Amazingly, the vintage Chinese checkers board that I had was a perfect fit on the top of the table! I decided not to attach the board permanently to the table, because I wanted to have the option of flipping it over and enjoying both sides of the board. I did have a piece of glass cut to fit the inside of the wooden frame so that the board would be protected.

retooled table

And can I just tell you how much I love the way the finish turned out? It looks a lot like milk paint, even though I used regular acrylic housepaint. I put on a base coat of yellow followed by a coat of red, with a little bit of sanding to grunge it up. I think the magic happened when I rubbed some brown and black shoepolish over the whole thing to give it that aged look. Vintage perfection!

I don't have any before photos of the table, but trust me when I say that the table was pretty blah. A previous owner had stripped it completely, and it had obviously been sitting around naked for awhile at the flea market (never a proper thing to do) and had turned a dull gray as the wood cracked and dried out.

If you're thinking that you've got a great yard sale transformation to share, be stop by The CSI Project website before noon on Thursday to learn how YOU can join in the fun!

Visit thecsiproject.com


The Importance of Being Me said...

I love this table! This is fantastic! I love your posts, you always have such wonderful things. But I think this one is my favorite!

jen @ homeinthecountry said...

Such a cool idea - I love how cheery and colorful this table is! How creative!

Jen {The Craft Floozy} said...

A game table is a really great idea, and what luck your Chinese checkers board fit! I really like the paint treatment. The "shabby" look is always a winner with me :)

BKicklighter said...

Just precious! Such a great idea and such a classy look.

Michelle L. said...

This is so pretty! I desire it!

kim taylor - - - the sassy crafter said...

Thanks, ladies! During a particularly dire time, I thought about bringing it to a craft show and trying to sell it. I'm so glad I didn't -- it really brightens up our bedroom and makes me smile every time i see it!

Robin said...

Love it and I would love if you would link this project up over at my blog http://www.thetshirtdiaries.com‘s Upcycled Awesome linky party – http://tinyurl.com/Upcycled5


Blog Widget by LinkWithin