Thursday, June 03, 2010

Finding time, revisited


Atomic eggbeater clock
Originally uploaded by sassycrafter
So it's finally summer. Back when I was in school, this meant there would be months of uninterrupted time to do things like devour books, make mud pies down by the creek, and chase lightning bugs at dusk. It was a blissful time that seemed boundless, save the eventual return to school in September. I'm not sure I realized then what a good deal I had!

These days it seems like it's harder and harder to find time for all of the things I want to do, including blog. Apparently I'm not alone. Sarah over at Makery wrote about this topic recently. She had some good tips about the usual obstacles that seem to prevent us from finding the time, so be sure to stop by and read them .

She nailed my main problem: "Trying to write a quality post and publish it on the same day is draining." For little posts like this one, it's not such a big deal. But for posts like tutorials that require a little more thought, this is huge. Right now I've got a big post in the works and I'm trying to use the strategy of pecking away at it bit by bit. Sure, it doesn't give the same kind of instant gratification of knowing I cranked out a post in a day, but in the long run I know that both me and the final product will be in a better state. So I'll continue pecking.

Printing by Hand: A Modern Guide to Printing with Handmade Stamps, Stencils, and Silk ScreensOn a happy note, I celebrated a birthday this weekend! My boyfriend was such a sweetie and got me a beautiful old vintage quilt and several art books that I can't wait to dive into . . . once I find the time of course! One is Printing by Hand by Lena Corwin, which I think will be incredibly inspirational. Has anyone else read this one or used any of the techniques she describes?



Okay, back to the pecking!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin